HISTORY OF ASBURY

Asbury AME Church History (Excerpts)

1845 is the official date of birth of Asbury Church on 2nd & Bevan Streets.  At that time it was named Bethel.  In 1863 when the church was rebuilt the congregation chose to change the name to Asbury in honor of Bishop Francis Asbury, an English missionary who founded the Independent Methodist Episcopal Church in America.  It became the second African American congregation in Chester, PA.

1889 – The church building was sold and services were held at James Hall, Fifth and Edgemont Ave. until the new edifice was competed.

1890 – The new cornerstone was laid May 25th.  The new edifice was home to Asbury for 105 years.

1924 – The church became part of the newly created Delaware Conference (Asbury formerly was part of the Philadelphia Conference).

1995 – The United Methodist Church at 1712-28 was purchased.  Shortly after, the church family marched into this edifice.  The other site was sold.  Three years later mortgage burning ceremonies were held.

2003 – In June, Rev. Dr. Janet Jenkins Sturdivant was assigned as the first woman pastor in its 158 year history.

2013 – In June Rev. Dr. Stanley Gordon Smith, was assigned Pastor of Asbury Church.

2013 – October 168 year Anniversary.

 

Leave a Reply